Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Thankful for Thieves?

I have been struggling with how to write about the not-so-positive things that happen in the North End.  I don’t want to Pollyanna-ize things and yet I don’t want to join in sensationalizing the negative either.  One morning last week, we noticed our gate was wide open.  Nothing seemed to be missing, so we dismissed it. 

Later, we got the full story.  Here’s what happened and how it changed us.  I’m sure many in our neighbourhood can relate, and many more in other parts of the city.

Shortly after we went to bed one night (we must have gone right to sleep), one of our neighbours noticed someone in our shed and yelled, ”what are you doing?”  The would–be thief fled from his futile attempt.  Even though none of our possessions were taken, we lost our sense of safety and security in the process.
Knowing that someone had entered our space with evil intent and went so far as to unscrew our motion-sensitive lights, left us feeling violated and paranoid.  At bedtime, we started jumping at every sound and checking outside for signs of intruders.  After all, if someone had their eye on our yard before, what would stop them from a second attempt?

We’d become trusting again, leaving the kids’ bikes and toys outside, even after losing a scooter and a tricycle.  Were they really safe?  What if the thief came back and took something of real value or destroyed all the flowers I’ve so carefully planted?

The paranoia is starting to dissipate.  Nonetheless, my husband decided to install the deadbolt he bought for the shed a while ago.  And we’re counting our blessings.

We’re thankful our neighbours stepped outside at just the right time.  We’re thankful our neighbours recognized something wasn’t right and did something about it.  We’re thankful nothing was taken.  We’re thankful there was no vandalism.

I wonder if a thief ever realizes the full effect his actions have.  Stealing someone’s possessions, or even attempting to take them is not just about the loss of some material thing.  It can mean the agony of telling a child they can’t do their favourite thing anymore, wondering if you can really afford to replace it, and worrying it may happen again.  It can mean losing the joy of summer entertaining on the BBQ, as replacing it may be the last straw for a family already under financial strain.  Always it means a loss of trust and an increase in fear, at least for a time.  When that happens, more fences go up, gates get locked, garages are built, barking dogs appear, and communities become more closed.  All because someone decided some else’s property would be fun to take.

“Thou shalt not steal” was written for the good of community, I’m sure.  “Love your neighbour as yourself” is the one I need to contemplate.  Isn’t the thief my neighbour, too?

I’m just thankful I’ve got some great neighbours in my community who are looking out for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment