Friday, October 7, 2011

Sustaining Beauty in our Community

When we moved into the North End five years ago, the community garden on the end of my block helped me feel more comfortable in my neighbourhood.  That splash of colour and beauty did a lot to brighten my street and welcome me.  Actually, there were two gardens: one on either end, but the other one was vandalized a few years ago and has since been dismantled.

It's amazing what a few flowers and a bit of care can do for a neighbourhood.  As my kids have grown, I've enjoyed showing them the different plants and discussing their colours and shapes.  I always wondered who spearheaded the garden project and who maintained it.

I finally learned who is responsible.  First, I'd noticed two composting bins go up.  Seeing signs instructing users on which one to add to, I assumed it was a community compost heap.  I was extremely delighted, as I have wanted to put my fruit and vegetable scraps to better use, but have been too intimidated to start my own compost pile.  Since I go by the garden quite often, I could envision easily carrying my pail there and dumping it.  I just wasn't certain if I was allowed.

 Then, when I saw people working in the garden, I was very excited my questions would finally be answered.  I talked to one of the ladies as she trimmed onion stalks.  She was actually under the weather, but working hard and willing to answer my questions.  I gathered that the compost bins were not intended for community use, but rather for the garden itself--its spent plants and so on.  I was a bit disappointed, but not deterred.  “Could I still contribute?” I asked.  She thought perhaps I could, and gave me the number of the person in charge.

A few days later, I received confirmation and a few clarifications.  I found out the garden, as well as a half dozen others, are run by the William Whyte Residents' Assocation (boundaries: the south side of Redwood, north side of Selkirk, west side of Main and east side of Arlington).  Ours is the only perennial garden, while the others are solely vegetable plots.  Those with an interest in gardening, who lack the space, can contact Annette at 582-0988 if they're interested in signing up for next year.  The WWRA meets every month on a Wednesday at Pritchard Park.  They offer a variety of programs to improve life in our neighbourhood, including a Toastmasters Club, snow clearing for seniors, youth drop-ins, and a Citizens on Patrol Program.

I'm now happily collecting my carrot peels, apple cores, and other various organic materials and adding them to the mix.  If you live near Aikins and Redwood and have a basic understanding of composting, you're welcome to contribute as well.  I'm proud that our neighbourhood is participating in sustainable garden practices while adding beauty and hope to the community and its residents!

No comments:

Post a Comment